November 9, 2008

November Clay Exhibits




While I'm spending long hours in the studio busily preparing for my upcoming sales, I wanted to let you know about several local clay  exhibits  happening  this month. I dropped by Clay Mix  last week and was delighted that I was able to see Susan Clusener's work, pick up a few supplies, and gather the information on the shows I'm posting about here. Besides taking care of some business, I ran into some friends who had stopped to see the show and another in the back classroom working on mastering his throwing skills on the wheel. How nice to have this clay center here in Fresno, and luckily for me, not too far from my studio. I've posted a few pictures of Susan's work here. To see more, go to her nicely done website. You will likely see why I felt so inspired after seeing her work.




__________



I have yet to see the ACGA show titled "California Clay 2008" at the Fresno City Art Space Gallerybut when I find myself in that inevitable desperate need of a break from the studio during the next couple of weeks, I'll be running over to see it. Pardon my mussy hair, clay spotted clothes and the white shoe tracks!


__________



Kitamura Junko (b.1956) Flare Vase

And yet another not to be missed show is coming to the Clark Center for Japanese Art & Culture later in the month (November 22):  Generosity in Clay: Modern Japanese Ceramics from the Natalie Fitz-Gerald Collection. The Clark Center houses a world class collection of Japanese Art and is  located just south of Fresno in a beautifully rural area of Hanford. I am looking forward to the drive out to see this show. Luckily it will run through January of next year, so I'll be well enough rested from the holiday craze to peacefully take it in. 

Right now there is not much time for me to spend on anything but clay work. So it is back out to the studio. I hope you have a chance to see these exhibits while I prepare some new work to entice you to visit me at the holiday sales ahead. I'll be giving you some updates and more show information soon. Now it's off to get dirty!