February 6, 2009

Color Dilemma




Maybe it is the rainy day today. I am feeling the need for a color fix. The above bowls are just out of the kiln. Lovely in their own right, but the over glaze accent color came out very subtle this time. Known locally for colorful earthenware work, (over twenty years) I realized last year I had left that behind. I worked exclusively with a higher fired cone 5-6 white clay. There were various technical reasons (with resulting losses) for the jump out of low fire, but I also wanted my work to be more durable and to explore new ways of glazing. 

I recently made it a project to organize my digital image files.  April of 2005 is when I first started using a digital camera. Prior to that (and hard to find at this point) slides and bad photos made it difficult to casually look back. Today I feel that I have not made much progress working more color into my work at cone 6. I miss it. I have a list of customers who miss it too. I have always felt I am very color sensitive. My tastes change with my mood (and apparently, the weather).  I was told years ago by a  buyer at a trade show when times are difficult people seek color. I was also told the farther south you go the more colorfully minded people are. These are just a few interesting comments that come to mind on the subject but seem to hold some truth. The contradiction I've noticed lately, while browsing magazines at the bookstore, is, although we are experiencing down economic times, white and very calm neutrals seem to be the prevalent theme in decorating. If you do follow such things, my most recent work is for you. On the subject of color in my work, it is only my place on the creative curve that makes color currently scarce. I have glaze work to do. I am working on ways of integrating more colors with design in a reasonably time efficient way to keep work  reasonably priced. This is where it can get really tricky.   In the meantime, a few pictures from the past for those who need a color fix on a rainy day.



 2004-2005 
at the end of  painted underglaze on earthenware