September 8, 2010

Fall Colors



It seems I am never sorry to see the month of August pass. A dry, dusty, hot month in the valley. My last weekend of the month was spent in Palo Alto where I got a jump on the fall weather, falling leaves and all. University Street sycamores seemed anxious to drop their leaves and cool temps were a nice break from the high triple digits earlier in the week. The show was good for me and my show neighbors. It was nice to come home feeling hopeful for the season ahead. There is so much buzz about the economy and the tough times many artists are experiencing. Attendance seemed up with shoppers eager to buy. I have done the Palo Alto Art Festival for many years and last year was my slowest. I'm not sure what to attribute the upbeat vibe this year - the weather, my new work, or the community's willingness to support this long running event in uncertain times. Community support would not surprise me, the customers are the most gracious in this Stanford university community. I am thankful I had a decent show and so happy to have returned inspired with a glimmer of better times ahead for the arts.